Healthy soil is your first line of defense, therefore you must pay attention to cultural factors such as:
- Soil PH
- Mineral Availbility
Description of Problem:
|A green or black algae is growing on the lawn!|
This is a fresh water algae that is found on poorly drained, over watered soil.
The soil becomes water logged
|Usually found under trees|
|Lawns that have been improperly fed with high nitrogen fertilizers|
|Cut too closely|
|City water does not help here . The chemicals placed into the city water to kill bacteria also kills beneficial bacteria needed to prevent algae growth. Learn how to properly clean water.|
|The use of high nitrogen fertilizers promotes more algae growth by killing off beneficial bacteria naturally found in soil..|
Steps to correct Problem:
- reduce watering to a minimum. Water every third day if possible. allow to dry in-between, water in early am instead of in afternoon or evening. If soil is water clogged allow to dry longer.
- top dress effected areas with rock dust and compost,
- make sure you punch holes into the soil to allow for drainage and for compost/rock dust to enter the earth. See spikes example.
- spray area with a bacterial activator like Nitron, Agri-Gro, SuperSeaweed, etc.
- you can also spray area with compost tea with molasses added.
- avoid using urea based products.
- read up on Lawn Basic care GOTO Basic Care read carefully.
- Algae growth generally does very little damage to lawns. Main cause is over watering and high nitrogen fertilizers.
- Top dressing with compost at least twice per year will help conditions.
Fungal Diseases are caused by dead soil and using high nitrogen fertilizers. Over chemical use on lawns eventually will kill off all the beneficial bacteria in the soil, leaving proper conditions for the bad guys to move in. Best type of fertilizer for the lawn is properly made compost, or other natural fertilizers such as Rock Dust, Nature meal (Nitron), and many other natural lawn fertilizers available on the market today. Use Nitron A-35 or AgriGro as a bacterial activator (also try SuperSeaweed, ). Wettable sulfur makes a good immediate fungal control.
"Disease can be avoided by proper composting, organic fertilization and proper watering techniques." Andy Lopez The Invisible Gardener
|Lichen growth can be removed by hand and raked clean. Top dress lawn with good rich compost and spray nutrition such as SuperSeaweed, Nitron A-35, AgriGro, Fish emulsion, etc.|
|Toadstools or mushrooms are not neccesarily to be viewed as bad for the lawn but instead it should be looked upon as an indication that the conditions of the lawn should be looked at more closely as the current conditions are ideal for mushrooms to grow. If your lawn has toadstools then pick them and dispose of. Top dress the lawn with good rich compost. Keep an eye on your watering. Water in early AM is best.|
|If you still have question(s) you can either Join and get more help or you can subscribe to receive my radio shows and get help that way.|
|Please also read Lawn Care Basics GOTO Natural Lawn Basic|
|please read dead soil|
|also water logged soils|
all rights reserved
I was here last on Sunday, March 17, 2013