European Corn Borer
my health corn no borers here!
Description of Insect
Moth like adults, caterpillar like larvae eggs laid underside of leaves
Description of Damage
- Caterpillars feed on leaves Tunnels
into beans, peppers, stalk and corn ears.
- sweet corn, beans, onions,
peppers, potato, tomato, beets, most crops.
- Floating cover Handpicking caterpillars. Mineral oil in corn ears destroy infested plants Plant corn resistant to
borers reduce food supply by controlling weeds
- Cayenne Pepper (Tabasco sauce)
- Garlic Sprays
Bronners Peppermint soap
- Garden Grade DE
- MVP BT?
- Kurstaki, bait
- BTK Wettable Bt Powder
- A sample formula for spraying: in a quart water filled near to top add:
5 drops Tabasco sauce,
1 drop Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap or use Jungle Rain or any natural soap,
2 drops garlic oil or crushed or bought
spray on leaves and directly on bug. test for
strength to avoid damage to plants. Pyrethrium can also be dusted around the plants.
- A good dust mixture is:
1 part Pyrethrium
1 part Garden Grade DE
1 part alfalfa meal
1/8 part cayenne pepper
dust around plants and under leaves, don't water for 24 hrs
- Do not use soaps that are
chemically made or that have strange chemical additives or preservatives. Instead use only
natural soap, either citrus or peppermint based are best but try herbal soaps. Use only a
very small amount of soap and use only when necessary.
- Get Dr Bronners Soap here
- for more information on soap From Using Soap to Using Ultra Fine Oil
- Predatory Nematodes Dr. Pye's Scanmask 7 Million Live Beneficial Nematodes
- Hb for larvae
- Parasitic wasps
- Tachinid Fly
- Trichogramma wasps
- Spined solider bug
- Lady Beetles
Need more help? Join Today
The Invisible Gardener
Last Update: 12/18/2012