Description of Insect
Description of Damage
tunnel into leave eats seedlings, stems.
feeds at night,
flowers, seedlings, most vegetables
LOW BRIX ALERT!!!
- floating row cover and super light barrier help protect against them. try Gardeners
- destroy infested plants
- use barriers/traps
- A good trap/attractant is as follows: in a bowel place small apple
vinegar. Attracts, replace with new mixture. try different types like wine,
etc. reduce food supply by controlling weeds
- Cayenne Pepper (Tabasco sauce) dust or spray plants to protect.
- Garlic can change the taste of the plant making it not acceptable as well as it kills many insects on contact.
- Pyrethrium mixed with molasses
- Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap will also kill leaf miners
if sprayed at
2 tablespoons per quart. Jungle Rain can be sprayed directly on at 5 drops per quart.
- Garden Grade DE can be dusted to reduce.
- BT not as effective as MVP but works well enough to reduce and control.
- MVP can be very effective against leaf miners.
- Ultra Fine oil if used early enough can also be effective. Not Organic
Petroleum based. Non Toxic.
- A sample formula for spraying: in a quart water filled near to top add: 5 drops
Tabasco sauce 1 drop Dr. Bronners peppermint soap or use shaklees basic H or any natural
soap 2 drops garlic oil or crushed or bought spray on leaves and directly on bug. test for
strength to avoid damage to plants. Pyrethrium can be dusted around the plants. avoid
beneficials be pest specific
- A good dust mixture is: 1 part Pyrethrium 1 part Garden Grade DE 1 part alfalfa
meal 1/8 part cayenne pepper dust around plants and under leaves, don't water for 24 hrs
avoid beneficials, be pest specific
- Do not use soaps that are
chemically made or that have strange chemical additives or preservatives. Instead use only
natural soap, either citrus or peppermint based are best but try herbal soaps. Use only a
very small amount of soap and use only when necessary.
- Get Dr Bronners Soap here
- for more information on soap From Using Soap to Using Ultra Fine Oil
- predatory nematodes Dr. Pye's Scanmask 7 Million Live Beneficial Nematodes
- parasitic wasps birds
Need more help? Join Today and let me help you too.
The Invisible Gardener
March 6, 2013
dont panic its organic garden pests