Description of Insect
small pinkish cottony looking with long tails, covered with
wooly or white wax like.
Description of Damage
sucks sap from vegetables, plants also Dances with Ants Dept ....
Can be associated with ants.
flowers (especially succulents, coleus), seedlings, most
vegetables, fruit trees (especially citrus).
- hand cleaning....wipe off with soapy sponge (add a little Jungle Rain to sponge then
wipe leaves) water to wash off after wards.
- Use a hose and spray with water to remove mealybugs. Hot water will also destroy .. Pour
boiling water in gallon sprayer, add 5 tablespoons natural soap such as Dr Bronners or
Jungle Rain, spray immediately on mealybugs, will not damage plants.
- Floating row cover can be purchase from catalogs such as Gardeners Supply or
- Destroy infested plants
- Use barriers/traps...Tangelfoot is good to apply as a barrier around plant if plant is
big enough like a citrus tree. Place duck tape (with sticky side facing up) around trunk
then cover with Tangelfoot.
- Or you can make your own by using petroleum jelly.
- Cayenne Pepper (Tabasco sauce)
- Garlic Oil Spray
- Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap
- Garden Grade DE DE Page
- SunSpray Ultra Fine oil From Using Soap to Using Ultra Fine
- Insecticidal soaps From Using Soap to Using Ultra Fine Oil
- Neem oil Monterey Neem Oil 70% For Controlling Insects & Disease
- Castor Oil From Using Soap to Using Ultra Fine Oil
- or look in resources Resources for more
- A sample formula for spraying: in a little less then a gallon water add: 5 drops
Tabasco sauce 5 drops Dr. Bronners peppermint soap or Jungle Rain or any natural soap, 2
drops garlic oil or crushed or store bought 1 drop Neem Oil 1 drop Castor Oil or garlic
oil Spray on leaves and directly on bugs. test for strength to avoid damage to plants.
Avoid beneficials be pest specific
- A good dust mixture is:
1 part Pyrethrum 1 part Garden Grade DE 1 part Alfalfa Meal Dust 1/8
part Cayenne Pepper Mix well, dust around plants and under leaves, don't water for 24 hrs
avoid beneficials, be pest specific
- Predatory Nematodes
- Syrphid flies love mealybugs
- Green lace wings
- Bug destroyer
- Parasitic wasps
- see also ants and mealybugs Dances with Ants Dept ....
Need more help? Think about Joining today!
- Members, If you have a question or comment Please leave it in the garden forum on members website.
The Invisible Gardener