Here are some tips on keeping your roses disease and pest free:
The best cure is one of prevention:
• Plant resistant rose varieties learn to use Heirloom varieties. It is important to plant the right variety for your area.
• Plant to allow for air circulation in between plants. Give them plenty of room if possible. Also learn to prune them so that their centers is open.
• Plant in full sun never in shade or low light. Not enough light will stress ten out which in turn will cane more pests and diseases. Less light equals lower Brix levels.
• Use Compost and Earthworm castings. Both are very rich in both in bacteria and minerals.
• Learn about Brix and what brix level is best for roses. I found out that a good brix level is 14-18. The higher the better. 14 is the lowest you can have and still have moderate control of pests and diseases. Brix levels are also related to the weather, the colder the lower the Brix due to less circulation.
• Use Compost Tea and or Earthworm Tea. These types of bacterial teas provide minerals to the plants via their leaves thru Foliar feedings.
• When pruning, remove all diseased canes and discard to the trash.
• Clean your pruning tools between pruning. Use OTKO.
• Avoid Chemical fertilizers.
• After pruning, use the Coffee, Milk and Molasses formula.
• Avoid overhead watering, use a drip system instead.